What do you need to do in order to get a Coaching Licence?
Check that you have completed the following in order to be eligible for a Coaching Licence:
- Completed at least one Sport Ireland-endorsed Basketball Ireland coaching course since 1997.
- Completed Garda Vetting through Basketball Ireland in the last five years. NOTE: If it has been longer than five years, you must renew your vetting before you will become eligible.
- Completed the Safe Guarding 1 Course*
- * For the 2018/19 season, you can still apply for a Coaching Licence without the Safe Guarding 1 qualification. You will instead be awarded a temporary one-year licence to allow you time to complete the course.
- Once proof of completion is forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org then the licence will be extended to a three-year licence or more for higher levels.
- After the temporary licence runs out, if proof of completion of a Safe Guarding 1 course is not received, then the Coaching Licence will not be renewed and the applicant will cease to be a licenced coach.
- Register with Basketball Ireland as a coach through the online registration system for technical members and pay the technical registration fee.
- For registration information and user guides click here: http://www.basketballireland.ie/registration/ or email email@example.com for assistance.
- Complete all requested information in full including current address and active email address when you register and click the level of coaching qualification you have completed.
- For Introduction Level coaches, no further information is required.
- Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 qualified coaches must also send a head and shoulders picture in JPEG format by email to the Coach Education email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name, date of birth and BIPIN, if you have it, for identification purposes. This picture will appear on your coaching licence.
- Within 10 days of registration* you will be contacted by Basketball Ireland via the Coach Education email address to advise if your licence application has been approved.
- If approved, your Coaching Licence should arrive at the address you provided within seven days of confirmation.
- *Please note the first batch of licences will not be sent out before August 20th.
Step 4 –
**Please note you can skip this step if you have received an email confirmation of a successful Coaching Licence application**.
- If your Coaching Licence is not approved, a reason for this will be given in the email.
- It is up to the individual applicant to complete any steps required, or to provide information requested, in order to satisfy Basketball Ireland that the applicant is eligible for a coaching licence.
- Check and complete the required amount of continued professional development over the period outlined in order to renew your licence ahead of the expiration date.
- Keep your Coaching Licence safe in order to produce it as required by the various Basketball Ireland Competitions you may be involved in.
- From September 1st, 2018, a Basketball Ireland Coaching Licence will be the only form of proof accepted to show that as a coach, you are qualified, registered and Garda vetted.
- Replacement licences will be issued at a cost of €10 to cover the licence and postage.
Important Notes for the future
From the start of the 2019/20 season, no coach will be able to take part in any Basketball Ireland competitions without holding a Coaching Licence.
From the start of the 2019/20 season, a Coaching Licence will only be awarded to coaches that have completed the Safe Guarding 1 course.
You can find the answers to frequently asked questions here: Coaching Licence FAQ.pdf